Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Scotty Arnold would rather see a big 540 into pow: BSA Rider Interview

Scotty Arnold knows snowboarding

Scotty Arnold has been in the game for quite a while.  His experience helps provide a good insight into his views on the past, present & future of snowboarding.  Scotty puts strong emphasis on style.  We think it's a good thing. 

"If you are the sickest rider in the world and can do triple corks to nosepress through a kink but a cocky hater I have no interest in you." 
Hometown?

I currently live in Park City, Utah but grew up snowboarding on the east coast in Holderness, Nh.

Use 3 words to describe your relationship to snowboarding.

It's my life

Where will you be riding mostly this winter & what are your plans in the next few years?

I will be riding at Park City Mountain Resort and also travelling to different resorts all over the U.S. Europe and Japan for the Salomon Team Vacation tour (coming to a resort near you).

What's are the most important things you've learnt about the 'snowboard industry' over years?

I've learnt that although it's friends working together, at the end of the day it's still a business and all about the all mighty dollar.

Which rider do you rate most highly & why?

I would have to say Bode Merrill is my highest rated rider right now. I base that opinion on attitude and skill level. If you are the sickest rider in the world and can do triple corks to nosepress through a kink but a cocky hater I have no interest in you. Bode is the all around best snowboarder. Only a couple people can compare to him in the jumping field and those people won't hit a street rail. Bode is sick on jumps rails and is better than a lot of dudes with one foot strapped in ha. But most importantly he is a good dude with a good head on his shoulders. I also have a lot of respect for Marc Frank Montoya on and off the board.

Who's the hottest female rider, in your opinion?

Hmmmmm

Can you do a double-cork & what are your thoughts on progression within snowboarding these last few years?

I've tried one into an airbag hahah. I think these days the progression is pretty obvious. Last year was double corks this year is triple corks next year quad corks?!?!?! My opinion is that's cool and all but I have always been into peoples style and would rather see a big 540 or 720 into some pow where you can actually see the style the dude has. As far as rails go, its cool to see people getting more progressive with spots. It use to be down rail, kink rail, down rail, but now people are getting more creative with the spots and it is helping jibbing stay fresh.

What words of advice do you have for aspiring kids wishing to become a 'professional snowboarder'? 

Learn quad corks hahaha Just kidding. I would say if you love snowboarding enough and are obsessed with it, it will happen naturally. Go for your dreams, don't give up, and above all make sure you are having a great time. Also be yourself, there are too many clones out there we need more individuals. 

What did you have for dinner?

I had a salad, an English muffin and a jack and lemonade ha

No comments: